June 13th is International Albinism Day and to celebrate it we invite you to participate in this virtual charity race, which seeks to raise funds for Beyond Suncare and expand our work to support people with albinism in Africa. The full registration fee will go directly to Beyond Suncare.
Here is the link to the official race website:
This challenge asks its participants to cycle, run, or walk (or a combination of all those) 628 km in June, covering the same distance that connects Lisbon to Madrid.
It may sound like a huge distance to cover in one month by a single person, but you can also enter as a team of up to 5 members, adding every team member’s distance to try and get to the magical 628 km or “to Madrid” 😃
To be absolutely clear, this is not an actual Lisbon to Madrid race! So, DO NOT think of actually going to Lisbon for this on June 1! Also, if you’re in Lisbon/Portugal, do not try to cross to Spain as you wouldn’t be able to cross the border to Spain!
THIS IS A VIRTUAL RACE! So to participate in this challenge, just please, cycle, run and walk in the country you’re currently living, following the recommended COVID-19 guidelines.
- HOW TO REGISTER? HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ENTER?
To register, you just have to donate a minimum of €10 to the NGO Beyond Suncare. If you want to donate more, even better! 😃😘
To donate: https://beyondsuncare.org/en/donate-now/
Once you’ve donated, please send a screenshot of the donation with your name (email@example.com), so we can add you to the participants spreadsheet. After that…you’re IN! 😃
And surprise, you will receive your virtual bib within 24 hours after we receive your donation!
- CAN I ENTER AS A SOLO PARTICIPANT? OR AS PART OF A TEAM?
You can do both. You can enter as a solo participant and will be “competing” in the solo category. Those that think 21 km/day on average is too much, you can enter in teams up to 5 members. To do this, each member of each team will donate a minimum of €10, and once all members have done that, send their names, proof
- WHICH KILOMETRES COUNT?
Te reportas a ti mismo, y no requerimos “prueba”, pero ¿qué kilómetros deben contar? deberían ser sólo las distancias que cubras a diario cuando salgas a montar en bicicleta, correr o caminar.
You are self-reporting, and we are not requiring “proof”, but what kilometres should count? This should only be the distances you cover when you actually go out to cycle, run, or walk.
- HOW WILL I REPORT MY KM?
You can enter the distance you or your team did each day on the spreadsheet below shared via Google drive: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15IAw5Qch5idJv6vb4RTS02EferndFzxGK0PS-6Q9Z0Y/edit?fbclid=IwAR1Q8MhcSynk-9gmlYYm8xoAPhQI4XxAkkJw66d0lgJ6CSEkH3ZEDPqfb0k#gid=347677721.
You will be able to see yours and everyone’s distances and who is ahead after each day. Exciting
- DO I NEED TO COVER 628 KM IN 30 DAYS? DO I NEED TO COVER 21 KM EVERY SINGLE DAY?
No. You do as many kilometres a day you want/can. You can also have as many days off as you want. However, the main objective is to cover 628 km by June 30 at midnight, so it helps to cover as much distance per day as possible, so you don’t have too many km left to cover at the end of the month.
You don’t even have to start on the 1st June, you can start whenever you want in June.
- CAN I ENTER AFTER JUNE 1st?
Yes. Everyone can enter anytime in June. Of course, the later you register, the lower the change you will have from getting to 628 km by the end of June.
- IF I REGISTER AFTER THE RACE STARTS ON JUNE 1, CAN I INCLUDE ALL MY KM THAT I HAD ALREADY DONE UP TO THAT DAY?
NO. If you register before or on June 1, your km will start on June 1. If you register after June 1, your km will start from the date you register.
- DO I NEED A GPS WATCH/TRACKER, OR STRAVA? WILL I NEED TO SHOW MY WATCH OR DEVICE FOR PROOF OF DISTANCE?
You can use one if you wish, but you don’t need one. You are on the Honour System, so we assume everyone will enter their distances honestly. However, it helps to use an app to count your km.
- I THINK 628 KM IS WAY TO MANY KM FOR ME TO COVER IN JUNE, CAN I STILL PARTICIPATE??
Of course! It will be great to see how far everyone can go in June, no matter if they “get to Madrid” or not! However, if you think it’s too much, why not invite 1, 2, 3 or 4 other friends to join you on a team, so you can all join your distances and “get to Madrid” together?
- IS THERE A PRIZE FOR THE WINNERS OF EACH CATEGORY (SOLO AND TEAMS)?
YES and NO. The prize is to have fun on your journey from Lisbon to Madrid, with the added satisfaction of completing the challenge whilst helping people with albinism in Africa.
- FUN FACTS
1. The VIRTUAL “Start” will be the beautiful Torre de Belém (Belém Tower) in Lisbon, that served as a point of embarkation and disembarkation for Portuguese explorers, and the VIRTUAL “Finish” in Madrid will be beautiful and vibrant Plaza Mayor (Main Square).Map here: https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/viewMap.php?route=136234
2. If you cover more than 225 km you will have crossed the border from Portugal to Spain. Let’s change our good morning from Ola to Hola, and our Thank you from Obrigado(a) to Gracias! The currency is still €, so all good!!
- ¿AND, WHAT ELSE??
This is more about having fun, doing some exercise mainly outside, all whilst raising money for an organisation that helps people with albinism in Africa. Yes, you can get a bit competitive, but let us all support and motivate each other to “get to Madrid” safely and by June 30 at midnight!